South Hunterdon Regional High School hosts our transportation services. Please contact the Transportation Department with any questions/concerns:
Missy Richardson, Transportation Secretary
Bus transportation is provided by South Hunterdon Regional High School. It is the policy of the Board of West Amwell Township Elementary School to provide safe and reliable transportation for all students to and from school. To ensure that emergency situations can be handled quickly, a bus list with all students’ names are compiled and kept in the school office. Thus, the accuracy and completeness of bus lists are essential. Transportation questions should be directed to Melissa Richardson at South Hunterdon Regional High School (609) 397-0486.
Bus Stop and Route Arrangements:
- Bus routes and stops will be established by the district on or before August 30. Routes and stops will be mailed to you by the end of August.
- Parents/guardians may choose only one pick-up and drop-off stop for the entire school year. Pick-up and drop-off stops do not have to be the same location. For example, morning pick-up may be at home and the afternoon drop-off may be at a child-care setting. This change in stop must remain in effect for the entire school year.
When requesting a change in transportation, please keep in mind the following:
1. Changes from one stop to another on the same bus route are allowed.
- Parents/guardians wanting to request a change in bus stop from their child’s original assigned stop may request a form from the school office or downloaded from our website (see below). These forms must be completed 3 to 5 days in advance of the requested transportation change. Completed forms must be returned to the main office at West Amwell School.
2. Changes that would create another stop on the same bus route are not allowed.
3. Changes from one bus to another are not allowed.
Changes in transportation arrangements(e.g. a student going to play after school at a friend’s house) must follow this procedure:
1. The student making the change must bring in a note signed by his/her parent(s).
2. The parent receiving the student must also send in a note acknowledging the change.
3. Without a note from both the parent and the receiving parent, the change in dismissal will not be permitted.
School Bus Rules – The primary reason for bus rules is your safety!
The school bus driver shall be in full charge of the school bus at all times and shall be responsible for maintaining order. The school bus driver will never exclude a pupil from the school bus, but if unable to manage a pupil, the school bus driver will report the unmanageable pupil to the Principal or Superintendent.
The Principal or Superintendent, upon such report from the school bus driver, may assign appropriate discipline. The discipline may include excluding the pupil from the bus and the pupil’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) shall provide for the pupil’s transportation to and from school during the time of exclusion.
New Jersey state law requires seat belts must be worn by all bus passengers.
1. Behave in an orderly manner at the stop, on the bus, and in line.
2. Avoid the danger zone.
3. Respect other students and the bus driver.
4. Ride on your assigned bus.
5. Obey and do not distract the bus driver.
6. Wear your seatbelt and remain seated.
7. Do not bring food or drink on the bus.
8. Keep your arms, hands and head inside the bus window.
9. Buses are no bullying zones. Remember - “Bully Free Begins with Me!”
Consequences for Failure to Follow the Bus Rules
1. First reported offense: the principal or the guidance counselor will meet with you to review the rules.
2. Second reported offense: the principal will notify parent/guardian and assign appropriate discipline. This discipline may involve creating a seat assignment or may exclude the student from the bus for a period of time.
3. Third reported offense: may result in suspension from the bus for 1 to 5 days depending on the seriousness of the misbehavior.
4. Continued disregard of rules: will result in suspension from the bus for anywhere from 5 days to permanent suspension from the bus.
Students are required to be at their designated bus stop 5 minutes prior to their scheduled pick-up time.
Attention Parents/Guardians of Kindergarten - Second Grade Students:
Your bus driver will return your child to school if there is not an adult caregiver waiting for the student at the bus stop. At that time, the Principal will contact the parent/guardian to arrange for the student to be picked up from the main office.